Wednesday, November 20, 2013

Journal Entry 2


Freshman composition                                   August 30 2013

Ms.Nargiza Matyakubova                            Mingdong Chen

 

                     At first, let me introduce myself to you, my name is Mingdong Chen who is an immigrant from China in 2010. I am 21 years old this year. I have come to United States for 3 years or so with my mother and old sister, my families live in an apartment in Brooklyn, I learn to be independent in United States with the help of my parents and high school’s teachers, and I gradually learn to speak English but not often to practice it, I used to learn by myself instead of discussing with others, I don’t know what reasons cause me to be like that.

                     In my own homeland, I finished elementary school of six years, middle school of three years, and I should have finished high school of three years, but I immigrated to United States when I was in the second year of high school, which led me not to take Chinese college entrance examination but had an opportunity to study in United States made me feel like I got what I lost, or I lost something but would obtain something else in other way, so I began my American life later.

                     The first high school in United States I attended was Manhattan Comprehensive Day and Night High School which is located in between 14th street and 15th street, second Ave in Manhattan, maybe very few people heard about it. I spent almost three years to study ESL English program from level 1 to level 5 with my teachers’ help in that high school, I could have had a chance to jump from level 2 to level 4 but I insisted that I should follow step by step if I really longed to learn English very well. In the daily English class, we usually did the writing works, some reading works, few speaking works and very few listening works, so I intended to be good at writing and reading parts, and the lack of speaking and listening. Even though I could do better in writing, however I had some habits of writing which I didn’t  know if they were positive or negative to me, I used to spend some hours on how to arrange the paragraphs of each essay, what should I write down in each paragraph to make it look perfect, and what kind of words or vocabularies should I use in each sentence to make it sound vivid, I though I had a lot of work to do to prepare the beginning of each essay before I started it, did everyone have same experiences as me? So I profess that I cannot be able to writing a perfect essay in limited time. Also I would like to arrange or make sentences in my mind before I speak out to someone because my spoken English is not good enough I think, and I would sometime forgot the spelling of words I didn’t use them often. In the beginning of learning ESL English, I thought I learned a lot of useful English skills or experiences from my teachers’ lectures and the some grammar books which I studied by myself when I had free time, but I got a strange phenomenon in the later days of learning English , which was that I felt like I learned less and less English skills in daily English courses later, in other words, I might considered that there was nothing could make me interested in learning English again.

                     In the future days in college, I hope teachers can provide me with lots of important and valuable suggestion on listening, speaking, readings and writings and so on. What’s more, the above some bad habits I have shown can be corrected, and I long to learn lots of or different kinds of vocabularies and improve my memory toward the spelling. So I am looking forward to the help from you.

No comments:

Post a Comment